TikTok Egg Boil is an easy-to-make recipe consisting of jammy or hard-boiled eggs, swimming in a spicy sauce made of garlic, butter, chicken broth and spices. This recipe makes for a tasty snack or light lunch.
TikTok Egg Boil
If you are reading this, chances are you are on a quest to find a TikTok Egg Boil recipe, and I’m happy to tell you I have you covered.
When I first discovered the TikTok egg boil that went viral, I knew I had to make it for myself. I am a fan of seafood boil and have even reserved boil sauce and added it to hard-boiled eggs and rice. Why haven’t I thought of this recipe sooner?
Why This Recipe Works
- Packed with bold spicy flavor. That’s finger-linking good.
- Easy to make. Perfect for when you are in the mood for easy and tasty eats which can be yours in 30 minutes.
- Makes for a great snack or lunch. Egg boil is fantastic on its own and it can also make for a great lunch. Pair this goodness with jasmine rice or toasted ciabatta bread and you have yourself a balanced meal.
- Easy ingredients, most of which are spices you may already have on hand.
Wait, What is TikTok Egg Boil?
TikTok Egg Boil consists of hard-boiled or jammy eggs paired with a spicy sauce that’s made out of chicken broth, minced garlic, spices, and butter. Some refer to egg boil as “poor man’s seafood boil”, as traditionally, the boil sauce is mixed with seafood (shrimp, crab, lobster, crawfish), sausage, potatoes, and corn. This version calls for only the boil sauce and eggs. Making it a budget and vegetarian friendly alternative.
I’ve watched a number of TikTok Egg Boil videos and have noticed most recipes call for using 1-2 sticks of butter. This recipe only calls for 1½ tablespoons as I feel that the flavor of the egg boil sauce should be in the blend of seasonings and garlic, not butter.
TikTok Boil Sauce Ingredients
Egg boil sauce calls for a handful of ingredients, most of which are spices you may already have on hand.
While there are a number of ways to to customize the flavor of the egg boil sauce, this iteration is deeply savory and spicy. If you prefer a less spicy boil, reduce the amount of red chili flakes to your preference.
- Unsalted Butter – just a bit of butter–1½ tablespoons–to cook up a bit of garlic.
- Minced Garlic – ¼ cup minced garlic sautéed in melted butter.
- Old Bay Seasoning – I use 2 teaspoons.
- Onion Powder – For just enough oniony flavor.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning – For that perfect balance of, you know, lemon and pepper.
- Light Brown Sugar – Balances out the savoriness with a hint of sweetness.
- Red Chili Flakes – this is where we get a bit of heat. You can omit this or add more if you prefer.
- Paprika – Adds a beautiful red hue to the egg boil sauce.
- Lemon Juice – Gives this sauce a fresh little zing.
- Chicken Bone Broth or Vegetable Broth – Suspends all the seasonings and what makes this “sauce” a sauce. Use vegetable broth to make this vegetarian friendly.
How to Make Jammy Eggs
I made jammy eggs for this egg boil, but you can certainly opt for hard-boiled eggs–see below!
Jammy eggs are fairly easy to make; if you prefer a runnier yolk, boil eggs for 7 minutes. For more of a jammy egg (like the eggs pictured above) boil for 7½ minutes. After boiling, place eggs in an ice bath for two minutes, then peel.
How to Make Hard-Boiled Eggs
Not a fan of jammy eggs? No problem. To make hard-boiled eggs, simply:
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water about one inch above the eggs. Cover with lid and bring to a boil.
- Once you hear a rolling boil turn off heat and set a timer for 11 minutes.
- Move eggs to an ice bath and leave for 2 minutes.
- Peel under running water and set aside until ready for use.
What to Serve with TikTok Egg Boil
While great on its own, this egg boil always goes incredibly well with jasmine rice, boiled red potatoes or crusty ciabatta bread.
Tips and Tricks
- Place eggs in an egg bath after cooking. This will seize further cooking, preventing overcooked eggs.
- For easy peeling, peel eggs under running water.
- Use unsalted butter as the Old Bay and lemon pepper seasonings are salted. Once the egg boil sauce is cooked, you can adjust the seasonings to taste with kosher salt, if necessary.
More Delicious Recipes
Here are a few favorites:
Do You Love This Recipe As Much As We Do?
TikTok Egg Boil
- 6 eggs
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup garlic, minced
- 2¼ teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 3 teaspoons light brown sugar
- ½ heaping teaspoon onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ – 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, or to taste
- ¾ cup chicken bone or vegetable broth, low sodium
- ¼ lemon, juiced
- kosher salt, optional, I use Diamond Crystal brand
- flat leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Prepare a bowl with cold water and enough ice cubes to create an icy bath. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring enough water to cover eggs to a rolling boil. Carefully drop eggs into water and boil for 7 minutes for runny yolk or 7½ minutes for a more set yolk. For hard-boiled eggs, see above for how-to.
- After desired cooking time, remove eggs from pan and place in an ice bath. Leave submerged for 2 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Under slow running water, peel eggs and place on a paper towel to remove excess water. Set eggs aside for later use.
- In a large skillet over a low flame, melt butter. Be sure the flame is low enough so much as it doesn’t clarify the butter. Add minced garlic, stir to combine and cook on low heat for 1 min.
- Add all seasonings and stir to combine. Cook for 1 min.
- Add bone broth and increase heat to medium-high. Cook mixture for 6 minutes.
- Once sauce has reduced and slightly thickened, add lemon juice, a splash of water and stir mixture. Season to taste with kosher salt, if necessary. Old Bay and (sometimes) lemon pepper already contains salt within the seasoning, so only add salt to taste, if necessary.
- Place eggs in a bowl then pour boil sauce over. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve as is or pair with crusty ciabatta bread or jasmine rice.