Sharing a family recipe–this one is dear to my heart. This easy to make bone-sucking sweet and tangy bbq sauce is great for grilled-veggies, chicken, and ribs and so much more.
Looking for the perfect pairing for this BBQ sauce? Then try my Oven-Baked Ribs recipe, next!
Sweet and tangy BBQ sauce
My dad, a Southern man from Atlanta Georgia, was known for many great things, one of them being how well he was able to throw down in the kitchen. I recall summer nights as a youngin’ eating slow-cooked ribs lathered in my dad’s bbq sauce–finger-licking-good.
The addition of liquid smoke gives the sauce a nice little pep mixed with a nice little tang from the apple cider vinegar.
This spring and summer staple goes well on grilled veggies, chicken, burgers, salads, ribs or whatever your heart desires! Go ahead and whip this up real quick–you can thank me later.
Sweet and tangy BBQ sauce recipe ingredients
Making your own bbq sauce is simple and a lot better than store-bought brands.You’re 10 ingredients aways from sweet and tangy saucy goodness.
All you need is:
- brown sugar
- apple cider vinegar
- unsalted butter
- pimenton or smoked paprika
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- liquid smoke
Personalize your sauce
What’s great about making your own bbq sauce is you can make changes to the ingredients and alter the flavor to your liking.
- Sweeter Sauce: Add more brown sugar
- Thicker Sauce: Simmer for longer until desired consistency is reached
- Smokier Sauce: Add more liquid smoke
- Spicy Sauce: Add hot sauce or red chili flakes
How to make bbq sauce
You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make homemade bbq sauce. Once you see and experience the ease in making your own, you’ll most likely opt out of purchasing store bought brands.
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 10 mins, until sauce thickens.
- Done! Lather this saucy goodness on ribs, chicken, grilled veggies, burgers, salads–the possiblities are endless!
How to store bbq sauce
Want to know the best part about this sauce? Having leftovers for future eats! Store remaining sauce in a sterilized glass jar and keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Ways to use BBQ sauce
As I mentioned, the ways in which you can use this sweet and tabgy bbq sauce are endless! Some of our favorite ways include:
- Salad: Top on a cobb or bbq chicken salad and you’re good to go!
- Pizza: Pepperoni pizza dipped in a whisper of bbq sauce never hurt anybody. Try it, I guarantee you’ll become a fan!
- Oven-Roasted Potatoes: Roasted potatoes are my kryptonite and one of my favorite ways to eat them is with bbq sauce–absolutely delicious!
- Oven-Baked BBQ Ribs: Who says you need a grill to make delicious fall-off-the-bone ribs? I’m here to dispel those thoughts and share that you can have the same quality of ribs right from your oven, See my Oven-Baked Ribs recipe!
- BBQ Eats: Everything from hot links to chicken. If you can grill it, bbq sauce will likely go well with it.
- Burgers: A thick, juicy cheeseburger, with a nice layer of BBQ sauce always sounds like a good idea to me!
- Grilled Vegetables: One of my absolute favorite ways to enjoy BBQ sauce. Try it on grilled asparagus, zucchini, onions, and corn.
Looking for More Great Recipes?
Keep the comfy-feels going with these good eats:
We love this Sweet and Tangy BBQ Sauce
Sweet and Tangy BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon pimenton or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon water
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to boil, then lower heat to a a simmer.
- Cook for 10 mins, until sauce thickens.
- Allow to cool and place in a sterilized container. BBQ sauce will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.