Sweet and Spicy, sticky gochujang oven-baked crispy wings that will swoon your taste buds.
Looking for more wing recipes? Check out my Honey Garlic Chicken Wings with Aleppo.
Wings are my love language. Stick a plateful in front of me and I’ll devour it all, no problem.
Are these wings finger-licking good? Yes, without a doubt. Oven-baked gochujang wings are baked until skin is perfectly crisp and then tossed in sweet and spicy gochujang sauce that is so incredibly good. Drooling yet? Keep reading to learn how to make this goodness.
What is gochujang?
Gochujang is a Korean fermented pepper paste that’s fundamental to Korean cooking. The consistency is thick and paste-like, deep red in color, has a spicy-sweet flavor, and comprised of red chili pepper flakes, fermented soybeans, glutinous rice, and salt.
Gochujang can be found at varying levels of heat and used to add depth to foods like meats (bulgogi), soups and soft tofu stews (soondubu jjigae), noodles, hot and spicy rice cakes (tteokbokki), vegetable side dishes (banchan), bibimbap sauce, and Korean fried chicken.
Where to find gochujang
Korean markets will be your best bet to find this paste. It’s housed in a rectangular tub labeled as “Hot Pepper Paste” or “Gochujang”.
How to make crispy chicken wings
Steps to making gochujang wings is quite simple. To achieve extra crispy wings, follow these steps:
- Pat wings dry of any moisture. Wet chicken skin will inhibit a crispy finish.
- Brush both sides of the wings with avocado oil.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Bake at 450°F for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add to bowl containing gochujang sauce.
How to make sweet and spicy gochujang sauce
Gochujang sauce is the star of this dish and quite easy to make.You’ll need these ingredients to make this Korean-inspired sauce:
- Rice vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh garlic
- Sesame oil
Got wings on your mind?
Try my Honey Ginger Wings. A great appetizer or main dish that hits the spot every time.
The perfect baked wings recipe for any occasion
Dinner, party, appetizer, weekend, lunch, name the occasion, these wings will likely be a good fit. Leave a comment below and share your love for this recipe on Instagram and Pinterest. We love to see you get down in the kitchen. Happy eating!
Sweet and Spicy Gochujang Wings
- 24 party wings or 12 wings; drumettes and wings separated, removed from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking
- Avocado oil for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup gochujang
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated or finely minced
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rinse party wings. Pat dry with a paper towel ensuring wings are dry.
- Place a wire rack inside baking sheet. Place party wings on rack, equidistant from each other.
- rush both sides of party wings with avocado oil, followed by seasoning both sides with kosher salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes, flipping at the halfway point.
- While wings are baking, start on the sauce. Add all sweet and spicy gochujang sauce ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Remove wings from oven. Add to mixing bowl and toss to coat with sauce.
- Top with roasted sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!