This Sesame Garlic Ramen Noodles recipe is an easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. Ditch the ramen seasoning packet and make your own simple and flavorful sesame garlic sauce that is sure to please.
If you are looking for the more easy and asian-inspired recipes, then try my Shrimp and Asparagus Stir-Fry recipe, next!
Sesame Garlic Ramen Noodles
During the week, I lean hard on this sesame garlic noodles recipe. It makes for the perfect and satisfying lunch which is exactly what I need on busy workdays and in between meetings.
What makes this instant ramen noodles different than what you get from using the traditional seasoning packet it that this version calls for a simple and delicious savory sauce that only takes a few minutes to make.
The result: a super budget friendly and delicious upgrade from what you are used to when making instant ramen.
Now I’m not knocking the OG ramen packets. As a kid, I would get down on all the chicken and shrimp Maruchan packs.
Fast forward to now and I’m looking to jazz this childhood favorite that not only tastes better but overall is more satisfying.
Why This Recipe Works
- It’s inexpensive and promises big flavor. If you are wondering how to season ramen noodles without the packet, look no further. This recipe promises big flavor.
- Perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. Got 10 minutes? Then this garlic noodles recipe is for you!
Ingredients to Make Sesame Garlic Ramen Noodles
You are just a handful of ingredients away from slurping goodness. Let’s get into what you will need:
- Instant ramen – Choose your favorite; I also share a couple of brands below that are perfect for this recipe.
- Sesame oil and butter – This perfect duo for a little nuttiness in flavor.
- Garlic – I use 3 tablespoons of minced garlic. Trust, its the perfect amount.
- Brown Sugar – Adds a hint of sweetness and color.
- Spiciness – I use my Shallot and Ginger Chili Oil to take the flavor and spiciness up a notch.
- Soy sauce – Use your favorite, I prefer Pearl River Bridge Superior Soy Sauce. You can use a mixture of dark and light soy sauce if you want darker noodles, but this is optional. See my notes for measurements.
- Ramen water – To mix with the soy sauce.
- Toppings – Chopped scallions and sesame seeds.
What’s the Best Ramen Noodle to Use?
To make things easy, go for the Maruchan Instant Ramen noodle packets that are commonly found at your local grocer.
If you are looking for quality ramen noodles that are clear of preservatives, Fresh Ramen by Hakubuku is my absolute favorite.
The Secret to Taking This Ramen Noodles Recipe Up A Notch: Adding Chili Oil
Adding chili oil to your ramen noodles really ups the goodness level. If you have not checked out my Shallot Ginger Chili Oil recipe, I highly suggest you do, as it is a key ingredient that really takes this ramen noodles recipe up a notch.
Bonus: extra chili oil can be saved for later and topped on just about anything. It’s one of my favorite condiments that my kitchen is never without!
How to Make Sesame Garlic Ramen Noodles
- Cook ramen. The key to getting the perfect texture is to make sure to not overcook the ramen. To do this, cook for 1 minute less than indicated on the package. Reserve 1/4 cup of noodle water, drain remaining water, then set aside. Once noodles are added to the stir-fry sauce, they’ll continue to cook and be perfectly al dente.
- Make the sauce. Add butter and sesame oil to a saucepan, then add garlic once butter melts. Sauté on low heat for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add Add soy sauce, brown sugar and reserved ramen water. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add noodles. Return pan to the burner and added ramen. Cook for 1 minute over medium low heat. Add chili oil and give it a good mix.
- Top with scallions and sesame seeds. Plate noodles and top with chopped scallions and sesame seeds. If you’re feeling it, add a little extra shallot ginger chili oil for good measure.
What to Serve with Sesame Garlic Ramen Noodles
This quick-and-easy noodles dish is great on its own, but you can also pair it with tofu, poached or leftover rotisserie chicken if you are looking to add protein.
Looking for More Asian Inspired Recipes?
Try these favorites:
Easy Noodle Dish That’s Sure to Please
Sesame Garlic Ramen Noodles
- 2 3 ounce packages instant ramen noodles, seasoning packet discarded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3½ tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons shallot ginger chili oil, see notes for recipe
- 3 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons ramen water, reserved
- Cook ramen in boiling water according to package instructions. 1 minute before ramen is al dente, reserve 2 tablespoons ramen water. Drain and set ramen aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add butter and sesame oil. Once butter melts, add minced garlic. Be sure not to allow garlic to brown and adjust heat, if needed. Cook for two minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and add reserved ramen water, soy sauce and brown sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Place skillet back on burner and add ramen. Cook on medium heat for one minute and add shallot garlic chili oil. Stir in scallions and sesame seeds.
- Top with more scallions, sesame seeds if desired. Enjoy immediately.
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoons light soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dark soy sauce