Pumpkin Spice French toast, anyone? This easy-to-make, EXTRA delicious french toast recipe is here for your fall morning needs and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
If you love all-things pumpkin, then try my Buttermilk Pumpkin Spice Waffles, next!
This content contains affiliate links which helps WhisperofYum.com to provide free recipes. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog, Whisper of Yum!
Kicking your mornings off with a plate of pumpkin spice french toast is never a bad idea. Sign me up for a fall-inspired breakfast that warms the soul.
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin Spice French Toast
- It’s easy to make
- Incredible flavor
- A guaranteed crowd-pleaser
Type of Bread to Use for French Toast
- Challah bread makes for a great option as it can be cut into thick slices and is sturdy enough to hold the egg mixture.
- Brioche bread is another great option, too!
Ingredients to Make Pumpkin Spice French Toast
- Challah bread (brioche bread works, too)
- Whole milk
- Heavy Cream
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin puree
- Brown sugar
- Kosher salt
What to Pair with Pumpkin Spice French Toast
- Maple Syrup is always a solid go-to. I use Grade A maple syrup which is amber in color and has a nice richness.
- Whipped mascarpone wow, if you’ve yet to try whipped mascarpone atop your french toast or waffles, this is the time for you to try it. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
Bonus: Whipped Mascarpone
Want to take this pumpkin spice french toast up a notch? Pair it with whipped mascarpone. It takes less than five minutes, requires only 3 ingredients to make and turns this dish into a decadent treat.
If opting for whipped mascarpone as a topping, make this below starting on the french toast.
How to Make Whipped Mascarpone
In a food processor, add heavy cream, mascarpone, and sugar, and blend until mixture turns into a fluffy texture–that’s it! I highly recommend making whipped mascarpone to give this breakfast or brunch a little oomph.
Pumpkin Pie Spice: Your Secret Weapon
What gives this fall-inspired coffee creamer the ultimate fall feels, you ask? It’s the wondrous pumpkin pie spice blend. A 5-ingredient blend of spices that really lends this decadent french toast it’s ultimate pumpkin flavor.
Save a few bucks and make your own pumpkin pie spice. Check out my Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend recipe that only takes 5-minutes and 5-ingredients.
Tips and Tricks
- Mix the egg mixture well otherwise you’ll have pieces of egg whites showing up on your slices. This recipe calls for incrementally adding ingredients.
- Use butter and oil When cooking, use a mixture of avocado oil (neutral oil) spray and butter. This mixture will still lend the french toast the rich buttery taste, but also keep the butter from burning as it’s in the skillet.
- Cut challah slices thick aim for 1¼ inch slices. Thin slices will cause your french toast to be flimsy and possible break apart.
- Soak the bread thicker slices call for a good soak, giving it enough time for the egg mixture to penetrate layers of the bread. Soak each side for 4 minutes.
- Preheat your pan Use a cast-iron skillet and be sure to preheat it, otherwise the egg mixture will create a small pool on the surface of the skillet.
Looking for More Pumpkin Recipes?
Try this awesome, guaranteed delicious recipes that calls for the use of pumpkin pie spice.
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
- Buttermilk Pumpkin Spice Waffles with Whipped Mascarpone
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
Loving this Pumpkin Spice French Toast Recipe!
Pumpkin Spice French Toast
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1½ tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (I use Diamond Crystal)
- 1 loaf challah bread cut into 1¼ inch slices
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Avocado oil (or neutral oil) spray
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In an 11×8 dish, add eggs and whisk until no noticeable egg whites are separated
- Add pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, salt, and brown sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Next, add whole milk, heavy cream, and vanilla extract and whisk until combined.
- Dip challah bread into egg mixture. Set a timer for 4 minutes, punching challah slices into mixture after 1 minute has passed.
- After 4 minutes, flip and set timer again. Preheat cast iron skillet.
- Once cast iron is hot, add ½ tablespoon butter and spray bottom or skillet with avocado oil spray. Once butter melts, carefully add french toast and cook for 4 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Flip and repeat cooking time.
- Serve immediately with whipped mascarpone (optional, see below) a dusting of pumpkin pie spice and maple syrup. Optional – Whipped Mascarpone 1. In a food processor, add all ingredients and process on “High” until mixture turns into a whipped texture. Place in a bowl and leave in refrigerator, covered until ready to use.