I made this panko parmesan crusted baked cod one weeknight and it was a hit! It’s a wonderful option for weeknight dinner and easy to make. The crunchy panko and parmesan crust is infused with rosemary and lemon zest, and will leave your kitchen smelling amazing!
This oven-baked cod topped with panko is an absolute favorite! Tender, flaky cod with a crunchy and rosemeary panko crust. Absolutely delicious!
What is Cod?
Cod is a white fleshed fish that is lean, mild in flavor and tender in texture. Typical cooking methods used when dealing with cod include: baking, broiling, deep-fry (fish and chips!), steam, and sauté.
Why this baked cod recipe needs to be added to your dinner rotation:
- It’s simple to make: oven baked cod makes for a simple and delicious weeknight meal. The flavors of this dish are incredible and tastes as though a lot more effort was put into it (big kudos to you!).
- Great meatless option: for those of you who are trying to consume less meat and introduce more fish into your diet, this cod recipe is a great one to sub into one of your weeknight dinners.
- Great source of protein: cod is a great source of lean protein–30 grams of protein in a 6-ounce fillet.
- Ready to eat in under 45 minutes: Who doesn’t love a quick-and-easy recipe? This one is done in under 45 minutes.
Ingredients to make Panko and Parmesan Crusted Baked Cod
What’s great about this recipe is that it only calls for a few ingredients; most of which are used for the flavor-bomb panko parmesan crust.
- avocado spray
- parmigiano reggiano
- fresh rosemary
- olive oil
- lemon zest and lemon juice
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- cod fillets
How to make Panko and Parmesan Crusted Baked Cod
The steps to make this baked cod dish are simple and straightforward:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a small baking tray add panko and gently spray avocado oil. Bake in oven until golden brown. This will give the crust a nice, golden color. Remove from oven and set aside to cool;
- Pour olive oil in casserole dish, and swirl to coat entire bottom of dish;
- Cut cod fillets into 6 ounce pieces. Season both sides with kosher salt and pepper and add to the casserole dish. Cook for 11 minutes;
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, add freshly grated parmesan, garlic, rosemary, panko, kosher salt, lemon zest, and melted butter. Mix well to coat. Set aside;
- Remove fish from oven and squeeze lemon juice over fillets. Carefully add panko parmesan mixture on top. Gently push on the top to set the crust;
- Place in oven and cook for 11 minutes;
- Remove from oven and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
Tips and Tricks
- Bake the panko for a few minutes in the oven before making the crust. A quick bake in the oven will ensure a golden crust and crunchier texture.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the cod fillets. If using thick fillets, add 1-2 minutes to final baking time.
- If you’re serving this dish with other sides, be sure to prepare them first, as this dish is best consumed hot.
Other Types of Fish
No cod? No problem! Any mild-flavored white fleshed fish is great to use in lieu of cod. Other options include:
Looking for more seafood recipes?
Loving This Panko and Parmesan Crusted Baked Cod Recipe?
Us too! Leave a comment below and share your love for this recipe on Instagram and Pinterest. We love to see you get down in the kitchen. Happy eating!
Panko and Parmesan Crusted Baked Cod
- ⅔ cup panko crumbs
- Avocado oil
- Quality olive oil
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + more for seasoning cod fillets
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 4 6-ounce cod fillets
- 4 lemon wedges for squeezing
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- On a small baking tray add panko and gently spray with avocado oil. Bake in oven for 4 minutes or until golden brown. This will give your crust a nice, golden color. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a casserole dish, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom.
- Cut cod fillets into 6 ounce pieces. Season both sides with salt and pepper and add to casserole dish. Cook for 11 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, add freshly grated parmesan, garlic, rosemary, panko, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, lemon zest, and melted butter. Mix well to coat. Set aside.
- Remove fish from oven and pour lemon juice on fillets. Carefully add panko parmesan mixture on top. Gently push on the top to set the crust.
- Place in oven and cook for 11 minutes. If fillets are thicker, you may have to cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing. Finish the top with a sprinkle of salt (optional).
Leave a Reply