This creamy mushroom soup recipe might be your new favorite! It’s creamy, robust in flavor, hearty and it’s likely that you won’t go for the canned stuff ever again!
If you’re in the mood for cozy soups, then try my Creamy Spinach Tortellini Soup recipe, next!
The best Creamy Mushroom Soup you’ll ever make–really!
If magical mushroom soup were such a thing, this would be it. But in these fall and winter months–heck, year-round for me–I find it difficult to deviate from making a comforting, cozy bowl of soup.
Delicious, earthy flavors that emanate from the cremini mushrooms make for wholesome and comforting eats. After a bowl of this, you’ll likely want to curl into a ball and take a nap.
What makes this recipe different from other mushroom soup recipes?
This recipe is inspired by a Hungarian mushroom soup. The key ingredient that mushroom soup from the others is the addition of paprika.
For this recipe, I use pimentón, or Spanish papkrika. This spice is made from peppers that are smoked and dried over oak fires. There’s something special about this spice; it adds a depth of flavor to food and I use it in a lot of eats.
There are two types of pimentón: sweet and spicy. For this recipe, I use spicy pimentón as I like the balance of smokiness and (whisper of) heat.
Creamy Mushroom Soup is SO easy to make:
A quick sauté, and time to allow for flavors to marry is all you need before basking in this soul-warming soup. From start to finish, the total time from is roughly 55 minutes.
Before you know it, you’ll be ladling spoon after spoon of this goodness into your bowl. Steps include:
- Sauté onions and shallots;
- Add cremini mushrooms, thyme, dill, and smoked paprika and cook;
- Stir in white wine and cook until liquid has reduced by about half. Add soy sauce and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer;
- In a small bowl, add milk and flour;
- Add salt, pepper, lemon juice, parsley and crème fraîche. Stir to combine;
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Crusty baguette or toasted sourdough bread are like BFFs–they go together so well and bring this soup full-circle.
- Top with–room temperature–crème fraîche for ultimate creaminess.
- No crème fraîche? No problem. Simply substitute with sour cream.
Looking for More Great Recipes?
Keep the comfy-feels going with these good eats:
Comfort in Soup Form
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1½ cups onions, chopped
- ½ cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1pound fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2½ teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2½ teaspoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1½ tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream
1. Melt the butter in a dutch oven over medium heat, then add olive oil. Sauté onions and shallots for 6-7 minutes. 2. Add cremini mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes. Add thyme, dill, and smoked paprika and cook for 1 minute. 3. Add white wine and cook until liquid has reduced by about half. Add soy sauce and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. 4. In a small bowl, add milk and flour and whisk until well combined. Pour into soup and stir to combine. Cook for another 15 minutes, stir every few minutes. 5. Add salt, pepper, lemon juice, parsley and crème fraîche. Stir to combine. 7. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Crème fraîche or sour cream
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Toasted sourdough bread or baguette