Korean corn cheese is a creamy, cheesy blend of sweet corn, cheese, mayo, peppers, and more cheese, broiled until golden brown. Recreate this popular Korean barbecue side dish in just 20 minutes for a tasty dip that works as either a snack or an appetizer.
This content contains affiliate links which helps WhisperofYum.com to provide free recipes. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for support of the blog, Whisper of Yum!
Korean corn cheese is a gooey blend of sweet, spicy, savory, and salty flavors. Served hot and bubbly, fresh out of the oven, this is excellent comfort food. Get ready for an epic cheese pull!
Why This Recipe Works
- Simple – Preparing Korean corn cheese dip is easy. Simply cook the ingredients in a skillet, then add more cheese and broil it until the cheese is melted.
- Great Party Appetizer – Serve this with chips or bread for a great, shareable snack.
- Versatile – Make it as spicy or as mild as you’d like, switch up the cheese; customize it to suit your taste buds.
What is Korean Corn Cheese?
Korean corn cheese is a Korean-American side dish often served in Korean BBQ restaurants. This banchan (Korean side dish) is either made directly at the table on a grill or served in a hot cast iron skillet or dish.
It’s also great as an anju (bar food) so serve it with cold beer or soju during a watch party or game night. You can eat it with a fork or scoop it up with toasted bread or chips.
Tools You’ll Need
Ingredients You Will Need for Korean Corn Cheese
Corny, cheesy, and buttery, this decadent dip comes together with just a few simple ingredients.
- Fresh sweet corn – You will need about 4 ears.
- Butter – The buttery base is a great start to a mouthwatering cheesy dip.
- Jalapeño – Finely chop the peppers before adding them to the skillet.
- Cloves garlic – Minced.
- Kewpie mayonnaise – This Japanese mayo made with egg yolks has a rich umami flavor.
- Sugar – This enhances the sweetness of the corn and balances the other savory flavors.
- White miso paste – Use this for depth of flavor.
- Cheese – I use finely shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Scallions – Finely chop the green onions.
- Seasoning – Keep the seasoning simple with Diamond Crystal kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste.
- Tortilla chips – This is my favorite chip to dip into Korean corn cheese.
How To Make Korean Corn Cheese
Make this dish in less than 30 minutes with just a few steps.
- Move the oven rack 6 inches below the broiler. Then preheat the oven to BROIL setting.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Then add butter to the hot skillet. Once melted, add jalapeños and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add corn and cook for 3-4 minutes or until corn is cooked through. Next, add sugar, mayo, miso. Stir until mixed through then add the mayo, ¼ cup of cheese, and ¼ cup of scallions. Fold to mix and season to taste with black pepper and kosher salt (if necessary).
4. Top with remaining cheese and transfer to the oven. Bake until the cheese is melted. Do not leave in the oven for too long or the mayo may separate.
5. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 2 minutes then top with remaining scallions. Enjoy with tortilla chips.
Tips and Tricks
- Watch it closely while it cooks on the stove. This cooks fairly quickly and can easily burn so occasionally stir so no ingredients stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Do not leave Korean corn cheese in the oven for too long. The mayo may separate.
- This is best when enjoyed immediately. However, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up 4 days. Reheat it in the microwave.
- Be sure to thinly slice the scallions. As with thinly sliced pieces will yield more scallions, and thus, more flavor. I use this device to get the job done quick and easy for the minced garlic and green onion.
- Cheese – Try this recipe with mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, or a mixture of both.
- Corn – Although I prefer fresh corn, you can use canned corn for this recipe. Just remember to drain it before cooking. You can also omit the sugar because canned corn usually comes sweetened. Frozen corn is another alternative. Just thaw and drain it first.
- Spice – I add jalapenos for a kick of spice but you could add any pepper you prefer or opt for your favorite hot sauce instead. But if you don’t want spicy Korean corn cheese, leave it out.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Korean corn cheese made of?
The main ingredients of the dish are corn, cheese, and mayonnaise.
What is the origin of Korean corn cheese?
Korean corn cheese originated in South Korea but has become a popular staple in Korean BBQ restaurants across the United States.
What kind of cheese do Koreans use?
Cheese is not a staple in traditional Korean cuisine. However, American soldiers were present in the country during the Korean War in the 1950s, and then American-style processed cheddar cheese was introduced to the country. Today, mozzarella cheese is also popular in South Korea.
Looking for More Appetizer Recipes
- Toyomansi – Filipino Dipping Sauce
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Easy Feta Stuffed Olives
- Queso Blanco with Guacamole
- Loaded Deviled Eggs
Loving this Korean Corn Cheese Recipe?
There’s a reason this recipe is loved by all! Leave a comment below and share your love for this recipe on Instagram and Pinterest. We love to see you get down in the kitchen. Thank you for supporting Whisper of Yum and happy eating!
Korean Corn Cheese
- 8-inch cast iron
- Hand-Held Electric Vegetable Slicer see Tools" section
- Corn Peeler, see Tools" section
- 2½ cups fresh sweet corn, about 4 ears
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- ½ cup Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- ⅓ cup pepper jack cheese, finely shredded, do not use pre-shredded
- ¼ cup scallions, SEE NOTES** thinly sliced
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt, to taste, YOU MAY NOT NEED TO ADD
- Tortilla Chips, for dipping
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, freshly shredded
- 2 tablespoons scallions, SEE NOTES** thinly sliced
- Move oven rack 6 inches below the broiler. Preheat oven to BROIL setting.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter. Once melted, add jalapeños and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add corn and cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until corn is cooked through. Next, add sugar and stir until mixed through . Remove skillet from heat then add the mayo, ⅓ cup of cheese, and ¼ cup of scallions. Fold to mix and season to taste with black pepper and kosher salt (salt may not be necessary due to addition of miso.)
- Top with remaining cheese and transfer to the oven. Bake until the cheese is melted, keeping a watchful eye. Do not leave in the oven for too long or the mayo may separate.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for 2 minutes then top with remaining scallions. Enjoy with tortilla chips.