Savory toast with all the right layers. Jammy Egg + Za’atar toast is simple to make, filling and just what you need to fuel you through the morning.
This blog post is sponsored by Sur La Table. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that allow Whisper of Yum to continue creating comforting and delicious eats.
There’s something about starting my day with this Jammy Egg + Za’atar toast that gives me an extra boost. This loaded toast is savory, simple to make, and a great balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat to fuel you through the morning and to your next meal.
What is Za’atar?
Za’tar is a Middle Eastern spice blend that is used in a wide range of foods and is incredibly delicious. Za’atar’s flavor profile is bright, tangy, and earthy, and comprised of dried herbs; thyme, oregano, sesame seeds, sumac, and salt.
How to Use Za’atar:
During the warmer months, you may see za’atar make a cameo in a tomato and feta salad or a simple za’atar olive oil dressing. Za’atar also is a wonderful accompaniment of labneh and paired with a flatbread. It is also used to marinate beef, chicken (roasted chicken!), and lamb. A few other great ways to enjoy za’atar, is atop fried eggs, yogurt, and toast–preferably with a jammy egg.
How to achieve the perfect jammy egg:
There’s a lot of back and forth about how you can achieve that silky, perfect jammy egg texture. After testing eggs at 6½, 7, and 7½ minutes–at 7½ minutes, the yolk was a perfect balance of jammy and slightly runny–ideal for this toast recipe.
How to make Jammy Egg and Za’atar Toast:
- Place one egg in a pot with boiling water and cook for 7½ minutes. I use this 3-quart Demeyere Saucepan from Sur La Table. It’s an excellent conductor of even heating–essential for a perfect jammy yolk–and made of high-quality steel. I absolutely love it!
- Place cooked egg in an ice bath for 2 minutes , and then peel egg under running water.
- Toast one slice of rye sourdough bread to the desired level of toastiness.
- Rub halved fresh garlic across toasted surface
- Layer with cream cheese, za’tar, halved jammy egg, more za’atar, salt, pepper, olive oil and top with microgreens.
Loving this Jammy Egg and Za’atar Toast?
Jammy Egg and Za’atar Toast
- 1 slice sourdough rye bread
- 1 egg, boiled for 7½ minutes
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- ½ teaspoon za’atar
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- fleur de sel salt to taste (optional)
- ¼ cup pea shoots or microgreens
- Bring a 3-quart saucepan filled with water to a boil. Use a slotted spoon to carefully place egg into boiling water and cook for exactly 7½ minutes. Meanwhile, fill a medium-sized bowl with cold water and ice. When the egg is done cooking, transfer to the ice bath.
- Once the egg is cool (~2 minutes), peel under running water and set aside.
- Slice bread to desired thickness and toast for desired amount of time.
- Use one half of the garlic clove and rub against the entire surface of the toast.
- Apply a layer of cream cheese and sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of za’atar. Cut jammy egg in half and place on top. Sprinkle the remaining za’atar and add olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Top with pea shoots or microgreens and serve.