Crispy parmesan potatoes are baked with an herby, garlicky, cheesy crust for a crunchy outside that’s warm and fluffy on the inside. This TikTok viral side dish is so delectable and mouthwatering; it will become your new favorite way to prepare potatoes!
For more potato recipes, try my Gruyere and Parmesan Potato Stacks and Air Fryer Potato Wedges next.
This content contains affiliate links which helps WhisperofYum.com to provide free recipes. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for support of the blog, Whisper of Yum!
Switch up your typical roasted potatoes recipe for crispy parmesan potatoes instead. Texture meets flavor with this crispy, crunchy, parmesan-crusted goodness! If you love the crust of pizza or the edges of brownies, you will devour these crispy crusted parmesan potatoes.
Biting into the crispy edges of these baked potatoes is so satisfying. The garlic, butter, and parmesan cheese at the bottom of the pan make a delectable golden crust that infuses the halved potatoes with amazing flavor. It’s no wonder this recipe has become so popular across TikTok and Instagram!
Why This Crispy Parmesan Potatoes Recipe Works
- Easy Preparation – With simple instructions and just ten minutes of prep time, the oven does most of the work. No parboiling necessary!
- A Versatile Side Dish – Just like other potato recipes, this goes with so many delicious entrees.
- Great Comfort Food – Hot, cheesy, buttery, and loaded with carbs… it doesn’t get much better than this!
Tools You’ll Need
Ingredients You Will Need for Crispy Parmesan Potatoes
- Potatoes – I use baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved lengthwise and scored (see photos).
- Salted Butter – Use melted butter for the mixture at the bottom of the pan and to brush the tops of the potatoes just before roasting.
- Fresh Garlic – Minced.
- Parmesan – Grated. It crisps up perfectly in the oven.
- Fresh Rosemary – Finely chopped.
- Kosher Salt – Add to taste. I use Diamond Kosher.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper – Add to taste.
How To Make Crispy Parmesan Potatoes
Bring these viral crispy parmesan potatoes to life with these easy steps.
Prepare Garlic Parmesan Mixture
Preheat oven to 425°F. Then add melted butter, garlic, parmesan, and rosemary to a bowl and stir to combine.
Pour garlic parmesan mixture into a baking dish then add potatoes, skin-side up.
Brush the tops of the potatoes with 1 teaspoon of butter, and season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
Roast Crispy Parmesan Potatoes
Roast for 40-45 minutes or until the bottoms are crispy. Enjoy immediately.
Tips and Tricks
- Gently press the potatoes into the garlic parmesan mixture. Doing so ensures the potatoes stick to the mixture.
- Use similar-sized potatoes. That way, they cook evenly.
- Use a glass or light colored baking pan. This helps to prevent the cheese from burning. The logic behind this is that light colors reflect heat, whereas dark colors absorb it.
- Adjust the cooking time based on the thickness and size of your potatoes.
Cheese. Not a fan of parmesan? Try gruyere or sharp cheddar cheese instead.
Potatoes. Any small potatoes will work for this recipe. Just avoid russet potatoes because they’re too big. We want these to be bite-sized with a melt-in-your-mouth quality.
Smashed Crispy Parmesan Potatoes. Take these same ingredients and prepare the potatoes another way. Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are fork-tender. Then place them in a baking pan and smash them with a fork. Make the parmesan mixture but instead of slathering it on the base of the pan, coat each potato with it. Then roast and enjoy!
What to Serve With Crispy Roasted Parmesan Potatoes
Crispy parmesan potatoes are elegant enough for a formal dinner party but simple enough for a casual weeknight. Here’s what I pair them with:
- Dipping Sauce: If you’re enjoying these as a snack, appetizer, or side to a casual meal, serve it with a side of ketchup, garlic aioli, ranch, or even sour cream.
- Chicken: Serve them with something saucy like these French Onion Chicken Thighs. Or keep it more casual with these yummy Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Wings.
- Pork: For a deliciously savory dinner, serve them with Pan Seared Pork Chops.
- Fish: Swap fries for crispy parmesan potatoes. It would pair perfectly with this Crispy Fish Sandwich.
- Beef: Swap out mashed potatoes for a more modern twist on Red Wine Short Ribs.
Although crispy roasted parmesan potatoes are best served immediately, you can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you want to reheat them, avoid the microwave so they don’t get soggy. Instead, place them in a preheated oven or air fryer at 350˚F until warmed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why won’t my potatoes get crispy?
A few factors may affect the crispiness of your potatoes. The oven needs to be hot but if it is too hot (above 425°F) the outside of the potato may burn without getting crispy. However, the potatoes may be too big for the cooking time set and just need more time in the oven.
Do I need to soak the potatoes in water before roasting?
Soaking, boiling, or par-boiling are not necessary for this recipe. We are using small potatoes and brushing them with butter so they will get a nice brown, crust. But also, the cheese is adding that crunchiness we desire.
Why score the potatoes?
Scoring the potatoes (cutting lines into the potato without cutting through it) allows the garlic, butter, and parmesan to absorb into the potatoes for maximum flavor. If we just placed the potatoes face down on the baking sheet, only the surface of the potato would have that amazing flavor.
Looking for More Side Dish Recipes
Loving this Recipe?
There’s a reason these Crispy Garlic Parmesan Potatoes are loved by all! Leave a comment below and share your love for this recipe on Instagram and Pinterest. We love to see you get down in the kitchen. Thank you for supporting Whisper of Yum and happy eating!
Crispy Parmesan Potatoes
- 11 x 8 baking dish
- Pastry brush
- 1 pound baby yukon gold potatoes, halved lengthwise and score (see photo)
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- ¼ cup fresh garlic, minced
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ⅓ teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more for the tops of potatoes I use Diamond Kosher
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper, plus more for the tops of potatoes
- 1 teaspoon melted butter, to brush the tops of potatoes just before roasting.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Add melted butter, garlic, parmesan, and rosemary to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour garlic parmesan mixture into a baking dish then add potatoes, skin-side up.
- Brush the tops of potatoes with 1 teaspoon of butter, and season to tatte with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes or until bottoms are crispy. Enjoy immediately.