Com Do (Vietnamese red rice) is a tomato rice side dish. It’s simple to make, not ingredient heavy, and adds a subtle, yet delicious flavor that will round out your meal.
Looking for the perfect Com Do pairing? Check out my Lemongrass Roasted Chicken recipe. It’s aromatic, flavorful and one of my favorite roasted chicken dishes!
Com Do: Vietnamese Red Rice
Com Do reminds me of my younger years; going to my momma’s favorite Vietnamese restaurant and ordering combo #35: roasted chicken with com do and topped with a fried egg.
Each time I had it always felt like I was experiencing it for the first time. Nowadays I inevitably make it if I know roasted chicken is on the menu for dinner.
There are a couple of ways to make Com Do; some like to make it using day-old rice, but the stlye of preparation for this recipe is similar to that of how Spanish Rice is prepared.
What Makes Com Do so Special?
What sets this apart from other tomato-based rice side dishes is the use of fish sauce and soy sauce–two ingredients I use quite often in my cooking.
The flavors are balanced, subtle, and a perfect pairing for roasted meats.
Ingredients Needed for Com Do:
What great about this recipe, is the simple list of ingredients, most of which are pantry staples!
- Jasmine rice
- Unsalted butter
- Tomato paste
- Soy sauce
- Fish Sauce
Steps to Make Com Do
Com Do can be made on the stove top in as little as 20 minutes. Here’s the how-to:
- Rinse rice
- In a medium skillet, melt butter. Add rice and cook, stirring constantly until rice turns an opaque color
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add tomato paste and stir until tomato paste is thoroughly mixed with rice
- Add water, fish sauce, and soy sauce and bring to boil
- Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 20-minutes or until water has evaporated and rice is cooked through.
- Fluff the rice with a fork before serving
Other Foods that Pair Well with Com Do
- Stir Fry Vegetables
- Pork Chops
- Shaking Beef
- Fried Eggs
- Roasted Meats