Chimichurri shrimp is a no-fuss, 20-minute recipe that calls for grilled shrimp and a homemade chimichurri sauce. This easy chimichurri shrimp recipe is absolutely delicious, can be an appetizer or main dish, and it’s full of flavor!
If you are looking for another recipe with chimichurri sauce, then check out my Chimichurri Chicken recipe, next!
This content contains affiliate links which helps WhisperofYum.com to provide free recipes. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of Whisper of Yum!
This chimichurri shrimp recipe is the gift that keeps on giving. Tender, plump, juicy shrimp that’s adorned with a herbaceous homemade chimichurri sauce that I can’t get enough of! My husband asks to have this dish every week, and once you try it for yourself, you’ll see why.
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is an Argentinian uncooked herb sauce.Traditional chimichurri is made with olive finely chopped parsley, oregano, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar and seasonings, however, there are many variations–some of which call for the use of cilantro and/or shallots.
Chimichurri is typically accompanied with chimichurri steam but this bright and herbaceous sauce so many other great uses, hence this awesome recipe!
Grilled Chimichurri Shrimp
The secret to a flavor-bomb of goodness for this dish is grilling the shrimp. Unlike cooking shrimp in a skillet, grilling shrimp for this recipe lends an extra layer of flavor that balances quite well with the chimichurri sauce.
When it comes to grilling, I always turn to my favorite grill pan as it’s durable and cooks food perfectly, every time.
What to Serve with Chimichurri Shrimp
This dish is highly versatile and makes for a great appetizer or main course meal. Let’s assume you won’t devour these scrumptious little guys as soon as they’re off the grill pan and you’re eager to find the perfect pairing for your grilled chimichurri shrimp.
- Jasmine Rice
- It’s simple and who doesn’t love rice that’s soaked in chimichurri sauce? I typically opt for Jasmine rice as it’s fragrant and absolutely delicious.
- Shrimp Bowl
- Is a fun way to get creative and mix your protein with grains and something fresh. My go-to is to start with rice as my base and add a fresh green salad–delish!
Ingredients you Need
- Red chili
- Red wine vinegar
- Quality olive oil
- Dried oregano
- Kosher Salt
- Large Shrimp
- Onion powder
How to Make
- Start by making herbaceous sauce. Finely chop and dice parsley, garlic, shallots, red chili, and add to a bowl with red wine vinegar, quality olive oil, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Clean and season shrimp. Clean and peel shrimp. Be sure to reserve tails. Season with salt, pepper and onion powder. Set aside.
- Grill shrimp. Cook shrimp on a grill pan until plump and cooked through.
- Toss in Chimichurri Sauce. While shrimp are still hot, toss in chimichurri sauce. Serve immediately.
Looking For More Shrimp Recipes?
Check out these favorites:
The Perfect Quick and Easy Appetizer or Main Course!
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 red chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon quality olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, Diamond Crystal brand
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, deveined, shell removed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1½ teaspoons quality olive oil
- Kosher salt Freshly cracked black pepper
- Avocado oil spray
- Add shrimp to a bowl and season with kosher salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients and toss until shrimp are seasoned throughout. Set aside to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Add all chimichurri ingredients to a bowl and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Spray with avocado oil spray and add shrimp. Cook each side for 3 minutes or until plump and cooked through.
- Remove shrimp from grill pan and place in a bowl.
- Toss half of the chimichurri mixture and add more until your desired amount of sauce is achieved. Serve immediately as an appetizer or with steamed jasmine rice.