Nothing says summer like a plate of chimichurri chicken. Made with chicken thighs, grilled to perfection and topped with an incredible bright and fresh chimichurri sauce, these two pairings make an unbeatable match.
This content contains affiliate links which helps WhisperofYum.com to provide free recipes. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of Whisper of Yum!
This chimichurri chicken recipe is one of my favorite chicken recipes. It is perfect for a weeknight dinner, date night at home, when entertaining guests, and especially perfect for when you are in the grilling mood.
Why This Recipe Works
- Major flavor bomb – Something about a bright, fresh, and herbaceous sauce coupled with grilled chicken just does it for me.
- Easy to make – I love how easy this grilled chimichurri chicken comes together. Perfect low effort, high-reward dish!
What is Chimichurri Chicken?
Let me give you a quick rundown of the sauce, first.
Chimichurri is an uncooked Argentinian herb sauce. It’s traditionally made with olive finely chopped parsley, oregano, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar ,and seasonings, however, there are many variations–some of which call for the use of cilantro and/or shallots.
Chimichurri sauce is typically paired with steak but this bright and herbaceous sauce has so many other great uses and pairings with different proteins, hence this awesome chimichurri chicken thighs recipe!
While you can substitute chicken thighs for breast, I personally prefer using thigh meat, as it is juicier and a lot more tender than its breast meat counterpart.
Ingredients you Need
- Parsley – Serves as the base and core of chimichurri sauce
- Alliums – Garlic and shallot
- Spices – Dried oregano, red chili
- Red wine vinegar – Gives the sauce a little tang
- Olive oil – Be sure to use quality olive oil
- Chicken thigh – I use one pound of boneless, skinless chicken thigh meat.
- Seasonings – Cumin, onion powder, kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper
- Alliums – Garlic, and make sure it’s grated.
Grilled Chimichurri Chicken
The secret to the flavor-bomb of goodness of this dish is grilling the chicken. Unlike cooking chicken in a skillet, grilling lends an extra layer of smokey and char flavor that balances quite well with the chimichurri sauce.
If you do not have an outdoor grill, no worries.
Days when the weather isn’t optimal for grilling, I rely on my favorite grill pan to get the job done. It’s durable and cooks food perfectly, every time.
How to Make Chimichurri Chicken
- Marinate chicken. Marinate chicken with grated garlic, onion powder, cumin, olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes, best if one hour.
- Make the chimichurri sauce. Finely chop and dice parsley, garlic, shallots, red chili, and add to a bowl with red wine vinegar, quality olive oil, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Set aside to allow flavors to marry.
- Grill chicken. Cook chicken on the grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat until cooked through or internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Top with chimichurri sauce. While chicken is hot off the grill, top with chimichurri sauce. Serve immediately.
What to Serve with Chicken Chimichurri
This dish is highly versatile and makes for a great main course. These are just a few ways I enjoy grilled chimichurri chicken:
- Jasmine Rice – It’s simple and who doesn’t love rice that’s soaked in chimichurri sauce? I typically opt for Jasmine rice as it’s fragrant and absolutely delicious.
- Protein and Veggie Bowl Is a fun way to get creative and mix your protein with grains and something fresh. My go-to is to start with rice as my base and add a fresh green salad or steamed vegetables–delish!
Tips and Tricks
- Finely chop chimichurri sauce ingredients. This sauce cannot live up to its full potential if the herbs are not finely chopped.
- Red wine vinegar works best. I do not suggest white vinegar as a substitute.
- Customize to your liking. I’m a garlic girl, so I typically add an extra clove of garlic or two. If you like it spicy, add more chili.
Looking For More Grilled Recipes?
Try these favorites:
The Perfect Quick and Easy Appetizer or Main Course!
- 1 pound chicken thigh, boneless skinless
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon cumin, ground
- 2 cloves garlic, large and grated
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 red chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup plue 1 tablespoons quality olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Marinate chicken with grated garlic, onion powder, cumin, olive oil, and season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes, best if one hour.
- Finely chop and dice parsley, garlic, shallots, red chili, and add to a bowl with red wine vinegar, quality olive oil, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Set aside to allow flavors to marry.
- Cook chicken on the grill or grill pan over medium-high heat until cooked through or internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- While chicken is hot off the grill, top with chimichurri sauce. Serve immediately.