Buttermilk pumpkin spice waffles made with buttermilk, a whisper of pumpkin spice, pumpkin puree, so easy to make, and are the perfect morning treat anytime of the year. Fluffy and tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside–and can’t forget about the awesome pumpkin flavor. This breakfast, brunch favorite cannot be passed up!
his content contains affiliate links which helps WhisperofYum.com to provide free recipes. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog, Whisper of Yum!
As the weather begins to cool, I immediately go for this buttermilk pumpkin waffles recipe. It’s so good and a household favorite! Even when it’s not fall, these seem to be go-to waffles, and once you try this recipe, you’ll see why.
Perfect Buttermilk Pumpkin Waffle Toppings
When is comes to toppings, I’m not one to load my waffles up a ton with different things. These two (along with a dollop of butter), tend to be my aboslute go-to toppings:
- Whipped mascarpone If you’ve yet to try whipped mascarpone atop your french toast or waffles, this is the time for you to try it. Think whipped cream, but BETTER.
- Pure Maple Syrup Is always a solid go-to. I use Grade A maple syrup which is amber in color and has a nice richness that complements the flavor of the waffles.
- Dusting of Pumpkin Pie Spice Whenever I make these buttermilk pumpkin spice waffles or Pumpkin Spice French Toast, I always top it off with a light dusting of Pumpkin Pie Spice. It’s like the cherry on top and a little extra flavoring is always welcomed.
Bonus Topping: Whipped Mascarpone
Mascarpone is a creamy Italian cheese, similar to American cream cheese, but with more butterfat and velvety texture. Mascarpone is a tasty addition to cheesacake or savory dishes like risotto.
Want to take these buttermilk pumpkin waffles up a notch? Pair it with whipped mascarpone. It takes less than 5-minutes to make, requires only 3 ingredients and turns waffles into a delicious, decadent treat.
If opting for whipped mascarpone as a topping, make this first, before starting on the waffles.
How to Make Whipped Mascarpone
In a food processor, add:
- Heavy cream
and blend until mixture turns into a fluffy texture–that’s it! I highly recommend making whipped mascarpone to give these waffles an extra oomph.
Pumpkin Pie Spice: The Key to Delicious Pumpkin Waffles
What gives these fall-inspired buttermilk waffles the ultimate fall feels, you ask? It’s the wondrous pumpkin pie spice blend. A 5-ingredient blend of spices that really lends these fluffy wafffles that ultimate pumpkin flavor.
Check out my Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend that only takes 5-minutes and 5-ingredients.
How To Make Buttermilk Pumpkin Waffles
- Mix wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add dry to wet ingredients and fold until mixed. Do not overmix.
- Preheat waffle iron and brush both sides with melted butter.
- Add batter and cook until waffle iron indicates the waffle is “cooked”.
- Toppings Serve with a dollop of mascarpone, a dusting of pumpkin pie spice, pure maple syrup, and a spat of butter.
Can Extra Waffles Be Stored?
Yes! Want to store waffles for quick-and-easy, on-hand breakfast next time? Simply follow these steps:
- Place waffles on a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Stack waffles atop one another, placing a sheet of wax paper between each one.
- Place stack of waffles in a resealable bag, releasing air.
- Place bagged waffles in the freezer for up to 30 days.
- When ready to eat, place waffles in a toaster oven until fully defrosted and crunchy.
NOTE: Once stored in freezer, if you notice freezer burn on waffles, discard.
Tips and Tricks
- Use butter to coat waffle maker: Some prefer using a neutral oil spray, but melted butter just tastes better.
- Keep oven at 175°F to store cooked waffles: This will keep them warm as you finish making the rest.
Looking for More Pumpkin Recipes?
Try these awesome, guaranteed delicious recipes that call for the use of pumpkin pie spice.
Loving this Buttermilk Pumpkin Waffles Recipe?
Buttermilk Pumpkin Spice Waffles
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (I use Diamond Crystal)
For Waffle Maker
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted for brushing
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 175°F and heat waffle iron.
- In a large mixing bowl add wet ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk.
- Slowly pour dry ingredients into bowl with wet ingredients. Using a spatula, fold mixture until ingredients are well incorporated. Do not overmix. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Brush waffle iron with melted butter. Pour batter into waffle mold (amount will vary depending on waffle maker model).
- Cook until waffle maker indicates waffle is "cooked".
- Remove and place on a plate. Keep warm in oven until ready to eat.
- If making whipped mascarpone, see below. Otherwise top with butter, dusting of pumpkin pie spice, and maple syrup.
Optional – Whipped Mascarpone
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and process on “High” until mixture turns into a whipped texture. Place in a bowl and leave in refrigerator, covered until ready to use.